+8
Completed

Default alpha to zero in opaque geometry shader

msperling 10 years ago updated by Freya Holmér (Developer) 9 years ago 6
For postprocessing effects to work properly opaque geometry needs fragment shaders that default its color output to Zero. The current implementation sets alpha to One which results in the complete scene glowing (using the deprecated Glow image effect as of 4.3).
Having an option to write custom alpha values into an opaque shader (not only glow values, specularity too) would be the next step to make SF more compatible with standard unity assets.

Answer

Answer
Completed
While 0 isn't default, it's now possible, as of Beta 0.37, to write to the alpha channel but keep an opaque blending mode, so I'll mark this as finished :)
I suppose, for now, as a temporary fix, you can plug in a value of 0 into alpha, and reset all the blending options to opaque, and it should work!
I tried. But I could not reset the blending to off as long as there was a value plugged into Alpha. We could use Src: One and Dst: Zero... but why do the blending at all? So I thought. And for now I just hand edit the source shader and replace the alpha value manually. But a fix i future would be nice :)
bingo! this is exactly what's been plaguing my workflow with using Candela - there needs to be a way to adjust the alpha in the diffuse slot for reflection intensity. Unity shaders as well as Lux shaders support this. Would be awesome for SF to as well. cheers
The Candella guys also said they would provide an update where they wouldn't screw with our Alpha channels - as in use another texture - for me that is a much nicer solution. I use my Alpha for things like transparency strangely enough :)
Answer
Completed
While 0 isn't default, it's now possible, as of Beta 0.37, to write to the alpha channel but keep an opaque blending mode, so I'll mark this as finished :)