Completed

Vertex position input on main node

msperling 10 years ago updated by Freya Holmér (Developer) 10 years ago 2
Hi,

would it be possible to get a vertex position input on the main node in addition to the already existing offset node?
The offset is great for adding displacement effects based on heightmaps that store the offset value.
But an absolute vertex position input would be great to do some procedural stuff like flags waving in the wind etc. solely based on trig functions.

I am not sure about what space to prefer - but I guess having the vertex position in local space of the object is a common thing.
+1
I can't really see how an absolute position would make that easier. Doing it in world space means that your shader essentially locks it into a single position, whereas if you use local position you can have the shader on multiple objects without having them end up at the same location.

However, if you *really* want to explicitly set the positions in world space:

But you won't be able to do that until 0.24, because this apparently triggers a bug which I just fixed :)
Hey, thx for the quick response.
From reading your answer it sounds like I didn't do my maths or that I missed the concept of the vertex offset input. Mea culpa. :)
I'll have a look at what you posted there when 0.24 is out.